The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) has elected 19 University of Florida faculty to its newest class. The honor recognizes extraordinary impact and achievement across disciplines.
Two of those honored, Lukasz Stelinski and Nian Wang, work at the University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (UF/IFAS) Citrus Research and Education Center.
Stelinski is a professor in the department of entomology and nematology. He specializes in applied chemical ecology, vector-pathogen interactions and insect toxicology. Stelinski has conducted research and Extension programs on pest management in subtropical fruit crops and is a recognized expert on controlling pests by applying insect pheromones that disrupt mating.
Wang is a professor in the department of microbiology and cell science. His research uses molecular genetics techniques such as CRISPR to understand and manage HLB and citrus canker. In 2022, Wang’s work on citrus greening earned him UF’s Invention of the Year award. Wang was recently awarded an $8.6 million grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture National Institute of Food and Agriculture for the development and delivery of HLB management approaches.
AAAS also honored the following UF faculty members:
- Emilio M. Bruna, professor and distinguished teaching scholar in the UF/IFAS department of wildlife ecology and conservation and UF’s Center for Latin American Studies
- Valérie de Crécy-Lagard, professor in the UF/IFAS department of microbiology and cell science
- Ageliki (Lily) Elefteriadou, Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering, professor of civil engineering; director of the UF Transportation Institute
- Gerrit Hoogenboom, professor and preeminent scholar, UF/IFAS agricultural and biological engineering department; member of the Global Food Systems Institute
- Prabhat Mishra, Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering, professor in the Department of Computer and Information Science and Engineering; UF Research Foundation professor
- Cheryl Palm, professor emerita, UF/IFAS agricultural and biological engineering department
- Anna-Lisa Paul, research professor, UF/IFAS horticultural sciences department; director of the UF Interdisciplinary Center for Biotechnology Research; co-leader of the UF Space Plants Lab
- Peihua Qiu, College of Public Health and Health Professions, dean’s professor; founding chair in the Department of Biostatistics
- Bala Rathinasabapathi, professor, UF/IFAS Horticultural Sciences Department
- Czerne Reid, College of Medicine, senior lecturer in psychiatry; affiliate faculty in journalism
- Carlos M. Rinaldi-Ramos, Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering, chair and professor, Department of Chemical Engineering; professor, J. Crayton Pruitt Family Department of Biomedical Engineering
- José Eduardo P. Santos, professor, UF/IFAS Department of Animal Sciences and coordinates Extension programs in dairy cattle nutrition and reproduction
- Matthew Smith, associate professor in the UF/IFAS department of plant pathology; curator of the UF Fungal Herbarium at the Florida Museum of Natural History
- Pam Soltis, Florida Museum of Natural History, botanist and curator of molecular systematics and evolutionary genetics; director of the UF Biodiversity Institute
- Maurice Swanson, College of Medicine, professor in the department of molecular genetics and microbiology; associate program director of the UF Center for NeuroGenetics
- Nan-Yao Su, distinguished professor in the UF/IFAS entomology and nematology department
- Marta L. Wayne, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, dean and associate provost of the UF International Center and professor of biology
Source: University of Florida
Share this Post